You are here
Join us Mondays at noon in Austin during the 85th Texas Legislature for Weekly Witness
NEW: Weekly Witness Survey | Action Alerts | Sponsors | Locations and Topics | Past Events and Recordings
The 2017 legislative session promises to be a time of high stakes and hard choices. It's never been more important for people of faith to be informed and engaged.
Weekly Witness is your opportunity to put faith into action and advocate for the common good at a time when your state needs it! Here's the game plan:
Every Monday at noon starting on January 16, Texas Impact will hold a short, focused advocacy training in Murchison Chapel at First United Methodist Church, Austin. We--and often colleagues from our partner organizations--will present timely, insider information on a "focus issue of the day," as well as updates and next steps on other issues that are on our legislative agenda.
Following the training, participants will make scheduled or unscheduled legislative visits with their own legislators and other key members, and sometimes attend committee meetings or take advantage of other timely opportunities.
Weekly Witness will take place in Murchison Chapel at First United Methodist Church, Austin (directions). On January 16 and April 17, we will convene Weekly Witness in an alternate location in the Capitol Extension, E2.020 (Capitol reference map).
Can't make it to Austin every week--or ever? Our trainings are broadcast live on Facebook, and our website will have handouts and advocacy materials like phone and email scripts and social media messages.
Congregations, organizations, businesses or individuals can sponsor up to 19 weeks of legislative briefings to ensure that the 85th Legislature hears from Texans of all faith and cultural backgrounds in order to advocate for the common good at a time when Texas needs it!
Emerson Unitarian Universalist Church, Houston
Members of Friends Congregational Church, College Station
Rev. Dr. T. Randall Smith and Rev. Sandra W. Smith
- May 29: No Weekly Witness (Memorial Day/Sine Die)
- "Freedom Caucus" Members Who Killed Uncontested Bills Including Maternal Mortality Measures and School Lunches
- HB 3859 Floor Sheet (Texas Impact)
- CSHB 21 Fact Sheet (Coalition for Public Schools)
- The Budget (Environmental, Parks and Wildlife Concerns)
- 2017 ACT Lobby Day Bill Sheet
- Water Conservation Bill Sheet
- Letter Asking the Senate to Reject Kelcy Warren's Appointment to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission: Support Parks, Not Pipelines
- TCADP Position Paper on Senate Bill 597, relating to abolishing the death penalty
- TCADP Position Paper on House Bill 1537, relating to abolishing the death penalty
- Texas Death Penalty Facts
- TCADP Year-End Report: Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2016: The Year in Review
- Action alert: Support Clemency for Paul Storey
- Facebook: Paul Storey and the Cherry's call for clemency
- Advocacy Day registration page