You are here
Join us Mondays at noon in Austin during the 85th Texas Legislature for Weekly Witness
Register for This Week's Webinar | Action Alerts | Sponsors | Locations and Topics | Past Events and Recordings
The 2017 legislative session promises to be a time of high stakes and hard choices. It's never been more important for people of faith to be informed and engaged.
Weekly Witness is your opportunity to put faith into action and advocate for the common good at a time when your state needs it! Here's the game plan:
Every Monday at noon starting on January 16, Texas Impact will hold a short, focused advocacy training in Murchison Chapel at First United Methodist Church, Austin. We--and often colleagues from our partner organizations--will present timely, insider information on a "focus issue of the day," as well as updates and next steps on other issues that are on our legislative agenda.
Following the training, participants will make scheduled or unscheduled legislative visits with their own legislators and other key members, and sometimes attend committee meetings or take advantage of other timely opportunities.
Weekly Witness will take place in Murchison Chapel at First United Methodist Church, Austin (directions). On January 16, April 17, and May 29, we will convene Weekly Witness in an alternate location in the Capitol Extension, E2.020 (Capitol reference map).
Can't make it to Austin every week--or ever? Our trainings are broadcast live on Facebook, and our website will have handouts and advocacy materials like phone and email scripts and social media messages.
Congregations, organizations, businesses or individuals can sponsor up to 19 weeks of legislative briefings to ensure that the 85th Legislature hears from Texans of all faith and cultural backgrounds in order to advocate for the common good at a time when Texas needs it!
Emerson Unitarian Universalist Church, Houston
Members of Friends Congregational Church, College Station
Rev. Dr. T. Randall Smith and Rev. Sandra W. Smith
- Friends of the Environment
- UPDATED March 20: Religious Freedom and Public Education -- Webinar RSVP
- March 27: Death Penalty-Kristin Houle -- Webinar RSVP
- UPDATED April 3: Criminal Justice (Public Education rescheduled to March 20) -- Webinar RSVP
- April 10: Foster Care and Domestic Violence (Holy Week) -- Webinar RSVP
- April 17: Immigrants, Refugees and Human Trafficking (Day after Easter) -- Alternate Location Capitol Extension, E2.020 -- Webinar RSVP
- April 24: Climate, Water, Energy, and Other Environmental Issues -- Webinar RSVP
- May 1: TBA -- Webinar RSVP
- May 8: TBA -- Webinar RSVP
- May 15: TBA -- Webinar RSVP
- May 22: TBA -- Webinar RSVP
- May 29: Thanking Legislators (Memorial Day/Sine Die) -- Alternate Location Capitol Extension, E2.020
Speaker: Bee Moorhead
Speakers: Celina Moreno, Legislative Staff Attorney at Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF), and Yannis Banks, Legislative Liaison Texas NAACP
Speakers: Kathy Green, Central Texas Food Bank Celia Cole, CEO of Feeding Texas;Ann Baddour, Director, Fair Financial Services Project
Speakers: Joshua Houston, General Counsel, Texas Impact; Dick Lavine, Center for Public Policy Priorities
Webinar Video: Joshua Houston on Religious Freedom | Dick Lavine on the Texas Budget
Speaker: Erica Schmidt-Portnoy, Austin Area Director, Refugee Services of Texas
Speaker: Will Francis, National Association of Social Workers, Texas Chapter; Sarah de la Fuente, Women's Association of Religious Professionals
Webinar Video: Domestic Violence feat. Sarah de la Fuente | CPS Reform and Foster Care feat. Will Francis
Speaker: Beaman Floyd
Speaker: Adrian Shelley